Home » » HOW TO GET A FREE QUILT

HOW TO GET A FREE QUILT

That’s how I look at it. I just got a free quilt. Here’s how. On my last post I talked about my love of making blocks, thus accumulating numerous orphan blocks. Instead of putting them in my “someday” pile where they would be out of sight and out of mind, I slap them onto my design wall in the hopes of getting back to them and actually finishing a project.

Among my many blocks was this appliqué block of bright colored fabrics and batiks and was from the book Quilting for Joy (Barbara Brandeburg and Teri Christopherson). I fully intended to add the little bird and make it into a pillow…someday.

Also there were several of these blocks made out of 30’s prints. The pattern is Butterfly Chain and I downloaded it from rjrfabrics.com. Again, this was something I wanted to finish … someday.

Then one day as I walked into my “studio” (read corner of my basement where I hide my stash and do my sewing) my eyes slid over the design wall, and my brain said, those blocks don’t look too bad together. Who would have thought about putting brights, batiks and 30’s fabrics into one quilt. I started playing around and came up with the design, then, thinking it really needed some kind of border, I rummaged through my box of orphans and found the appliqué flowers on vine that I had made years ago and could not remember why, …and they worked.

And that’s how I got a free quilt. I didn't have to buy new fabrics or new patterns. I think of it as free. Afterall, if I hadn't done this, it would probably have been wasted fabric because there are always newer patterns and fabrics calling my name and demanding my time. What a wonderful way to save money and still enjoy your love of quilting. You can do that too. I bet you are like other quilters, with lots of orphan blocks. Be creative. Let yourself go. Have fun. I’ve heard it said that every quilt is a learning experience. You will certainly learn something by doing this exercise. If nothing else, you will gain confidence. Don’t wait until someday. Do it now. Create!
CT publishing has a great tutorial for a folder folio. A great way to stay organized.

Until Next Time: Happy Quilting!
Caroll
Share this article :

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2013. My Quilt Store - All Rights Reserved
Proudly powered by Blogger